News | Nov 14, 2019 | Arora
PhilaPort Celebrates the Grand Opening of Their New Auto Processing Facility
PhilaPort celebrated the grand opening of its new 108,000 square foot Southport Auto Terminal and Vehicle Processing Center (VPC) on Tuesday, October 29. Ceremony attendees included Governor Tom Wolf and Mr. JinWoo Jeong, the CEO of Glovis America, the facilities operator.
PhilaPort’s State-Of-The-Art Facility
PhilaPort’s first new terminal in over 45 years will process over 200,000 imported vehicles a year for dealer distribution throughout Pennsylvania. This new facility, which Jeff Theobald, PhilaPort Executive Director and CEO, calls “the best of its kind on the East Coast,” includes:
- Enough space for over 350,000 cars per year
- Two car washes with the ability to service 200 cars per hour
- A VPC that can process over 1,000 cars per day
- Specialty heated floors to assist during winter weather
- An advanced auto body shop with two double prep stations and two joined double paint booths
“The new vehicle processing center is just one step in my Port Development Plan, which is generating long-lasting economic growth in southeastern Pennsylvania by making Philadelphia the best place to ship and receive goods on the East Coast,” said Governor Wolf. “This terminal alone will stimulate an estimated $124 million in economic activity, as well as create as many as 2,500 good, family-sustaining jobs.”
Arora’s Scope of Work
Arora was very proud to provide plumbing, fire protection, and electrical engineering design services for the project team, led by STV, Inc. Our scope of work included:
- Plumbing systems design services, including roof drainage, car wash supply and drainage, domestic hot and cold water, sanitary waste drainage and venting, and natural gas distribution.
- Fire protection systems, including overall hazard designations, and sprinkler main and pipe layouts.
- Site electrical design for remote security CCTV cameras and site wireless access points (WAPs).
Congratulations to the design team and PhilaPort on the grand opening of this cutting-edge facility!