Amtrak New Carrollton Platform Reconstruction
Arora Engineers, Inc. (Arora) was chosen to join the team, led by AECOM, in the design and development of a new high level platform on Track 1 for the New Carrollton Station for Amtrak for design of a new 48” at top of rail center platform and platform head house, station signage, and modifications to the existing station. Arora’s specific scope included Mechanical and Plumbing, Electrical and Fire/Life Safety engineering services.
SCOPE OF SERVICES INCLUDED:
The objectives of this project were to survey and document existing conditions that are suitable for use in future projects, as well as utilize the 15% Design Documents provided as a starting point for the design development. The discipline specific tasks included the evaluation of existing utilities:
- Existing HVAC: Combined Appendix 15% Design Document Report recommends replacing the existing Air Handling Unit and associated ductwork in the existing station.
- New HVAC: Extend the existing ductwork system to provide conditioned air to the new upper platform and increase the capacity of the newly replaced Air Handling Unit to accommodate.
- Existing Plumbing: Renovate the existing public restrooms.
- New Plumbing: Implement new storm water management for the new upper platform and connect to the existing storm water management system.
- Existing Electrical Room: Renovate the existing electrical equipment located in electrical and mechanical spaces. Determine if the existing electrical devices need to be upgraded or updated.
- New Electric: Provide power and panel(s) to the new equipment as required. This will include the circuiting of light fixtures being designed by another team member.