NYCT 7 Line Extension Fire Alarm Design
Arora assisted in the construction phase of the MTA 7 Line Extension project by providing expert fire alarm design services to the project’s electrical and fire alarm contractors. The 7 Line Extension project extends the existing line approximately 1.5 miles from the Port Authority Bus Terminal and includes the construction of a new station located at 34th St. and 11th Ave as well as multiple ventilation buildings along the track extension.
The project required the design of multiple networked fire alarm panels to service each building and two way communication with the MTA operations command center through the existing SCADA network. The fire alarm systems provided smoke and heat detection in mission critical areas such as communication and electrical rooms as well as visual notification and voice evacuation throughout the public areas. The systems were designed in accordance with NFPA-72, NFPA-130 and additional requirements as detailed in the bid documents.
SCOPE OF WORK INCLUDED:
- Review project design drawings and specifications
- Code analysis
- Develop shop drawings and documentation
- Assistance in developing operational and maintenance manuals including sequence of operations and calculations
- Assist in the selection of devices and equipment
- Perform battery calculations
- Attend construction coordination meetings
- Attend design review meetings and incorporate comments
This project required a significant effort to maintain a coordinated design with multiple disciplines as the project continued to evolve as well as maintaining effective communication through the hierarchical structure of the project team as well as the client. In collaboration with the construction team, Arora successfully developed coordinated construction documentation based on the projects bid drawings and specifications.
Photo by Jim Henderson/Wikipedia Commons