PHL Gate V01 Upgrades
As part of an on-call project management/construction management contract with Michael Baker International, Arora Engineers, Inc. (Arora) provided overall project management support to the Engineering Manager during the planning, design, construction, and closeout for the Gate V01 Upgrades at the Philadelphia International Airport (PHL).
Project upgrades included demolition and removal of existing gate/barrier equipment, hardware, and temporary Jersey barrier mounted fencing. The project also included the provision of new vehicle gates/barriers for traffic control, reconfiguration and expansion of roadways and parking areas to accommodate larger vehicles, construction of a new Operations Booth and Security Booth, installation of new lighting poles and fixtures throughout the work site, and installation of new security system and CCTV to control and monitor the new gates/barriers and booths. Work was done in phases to minimize impact to gate operations. The phasing plan was prepared to allow only one Gate V01 lane to be shut down for new upgrades at a time, while allowing vehicles to be screened and access through another lane.
SCOPE OF WORK INCLUDED:
Arora’s scope of work focused on reviewing, inspecting, and coordinating the Gate V01 Upgrades with the Division of Aviation (DOA). The team’s tasks included:
- Providing guidance to the consulting engineer regarding design and implementation characteristics respective to the DOA’s requirements.
- Coordinating to verify and validate, through design review and construction review, that the DOA’s requirements and expectations were being met.
- Coordinating the design review & delivery process with DOA Engineering, IT, and other departments.
- Providing support during the project bid opening, evaluation, and procurement process.
- Coordinating with the City of Philadelphia, Tinicum Township, etc.
- Interfacing with different departments at PHL, including Security, Engineering, CBP, TSA, and construction groups.
- Reviewing shop drawings to ensure compliance with project specifications and the DOA’s security requirements.
- Conducting project coordination meetings.
- Preparing progress charts, construction schedules, and reports.
- Monthly billing reviews.
- Testing and commencing systems as a PHL representative.
- Generating all testing and certification paperwork to be given to the DOA.
- Measuring the quantities of work and certifying estimates and payments to the contractors.
- Generating weekly status reports.
- Providing documentation for payment requisitions.
- Collecting and validating as-built drawings from the contractor.
- Providing a project closeout.