Torresdale Playground Renovations
Arora Engineers, Inc. (Arora) was subcontracted by NV5 to provide engineering services for Renovations to the Torresdale Playground in Philadelphia. The scope of work entailed Electrical and Plumbing engineering and design services for the relocation of the playground’s spray ground. The playground’s spray features were transformed from brick walls into a garden of water for patrons of all ages to enjoy.
SCOPE OF SERVICES INCLUDED:
Arora was responsible for design and documentation of all necessary electrical and plumbing modifications to renovate the Torresdale Playground, as well as construction phase services.
The electrical work will consist of new site lighting for the renovated play and pedestrian areas and grounding of the spray ground. Services included:
- Demolition of existing circuitry and design of new branch circuitry for existing site and pedestrian lighting.
- Support for the selection of light fixtures.
- Design of new general area site lighting.
- Pedestrian lighting for the new playground.
- Coordinated new dedicated electric meter with utility and prepared utility service application.
The plumbing work consisted of water supply to the new spray ground and consultation on code requirements for the means of spray ground water disposal. Services included:
- Demolition of existing water supply to the existing spray ground.
- New water supply to the new spray pad with required backflow preventer.
- New dedicated water meter.
- Consultation regarding whether spray pad waste water may go to storm system or must discharge into sanitary waste system.
- Provision of piping to features, valves (including solenoid and bypass), controller, rain sensor and ancillary equipment as required for timed operation of spray features including provisions for winterization.
- Requested a Hydrant Flow test from the Philadelphia Water Department.
The team implemented sustainability features including low-flow spray ground fixtures, timer, and a rain sensor to prevent erroneous water use.